UN, Arab League Call to Avoid Clashes in Gulf of Oman

The head of the UN, Antonio Guterres; and the Secretary General of the League of Arab States, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, have called this Friday to avoid confrontations in the Gulf of Oman. After meeting at the UN headquarters in New York, both leaders had a joint meeting with the press, in which they referred to the recent incidents in that area and asked to clarify as soon as possible what was the cause of the explosions on Thursday in two oil tankers.

The world can not afford a big confrontation in the Gulf, said the Secretary General of the United Nations and advocated for an indefinite entity to investigate what happened and clarify the facts.

As Guterres stressed, it is urgent to determine who has the responsibility. He also reiterated the sentence against any action against civilians.

Guterres said he has communicated with various parts of the United States and Iran and noted that his good offices are always available.

There is a behavior of some of the sides in the region that can increase confrontations, he said and asked to exercise maximum restraint.

Any movement may have ramifications that lead to a backsliding, pointed and launched criticism against 'the behavior of Iran', which government asked to be more careful.

Trump made reference to a video revealed by US media about alleged Iranian forces removing a mine from the Japanese vessel Kokuka Courageous, one of the affected. But the Japanese owner of the Kokuka Courageous said he had noticed 'flying objects' before the explosion, which excluded the explosions were caused by mines.

It was also ruled out that the freighter had been hit by a torpedo, as the damage, according to the crew, was caused by other types of projectiles.

The Iranian authorities rejected the accusations by the United States that, in a hurry, only increase tensions more.
Compartir
FaceBook  Twitter