Washington - President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that a 25% to 30% tariff hike on US$250 billion of Chinese goods will be postponed from October 1 to 15.
This decision took place at the request of China's Vice Premier Liu He, who leads for his country negotiations for a possible bilateral trade agreement, the US president posted on Twitter.
Trump also said that China will celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic on October 1.
China released on Wednesday the first 16 US products that could be imported during the following year without facing additional tariffs, adopted amid the commercial war between the world's two largest economies, as a gesture of goodwill.
The Customs Tariffs Commission of the State Council, China's cabinet, said that the exemption will take effect on September 17 and it will also offer refunds to 12 previously taxed goods, including shrimp, lubricants and linear accelerators for anti-cancer therapies. Trump stated that he will continue granting dispensations to importers who face difficulties in replacing certain US goods, as he takes into account the severe economic damages that entrepreneurs, the negative impact on the development of industries, employment, environmental protection and social welfare will suffer.
From September 2 to October 18, the commission collects the requests of more national firms, associations and chambers of commerce that will need this benefit.
The Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) issued a statement on Tuesday rejecting recent remarks by Peruvian-Spanish writer Mario Vargas Llosa, in which he blamed social outbreaks in the continent on Cuba, Venezuela, and Nicaragua and promoted an internal uprising in Cuba.Read More
One of the actions, in correspondence with this objective, is aimed at exchanging ideas on the current perspectives of contemporary Cuban animation, which takes place at the International Film and Television School (EICTV) in San Antonio de los Baños, from 9 to December 13th.Read More
Havana - Cuban intellectual Abel Prieto was appointed president of Casa de las Américas, the center's website La Ventana reported today.
Prieto, former minister of Culture and currently serving as director of the Marti Program Office and president of the José Martí Cultural Society, was nominated for the post by Alpidio Alonso, current Culture Minister.Read More