Havana - According to reports from authorities, tourism in Cuba is progressing satisfactorily, particularly in the destination Jardines del Rey, in the central-northern part of the island.
Granma newspaper says that out of the 1,402 passengers who arrived at the Jardines del Rey international airport since the beginning of September, only two have tested positive for Covid-19.
The newspaper points out that this data shows the visitors' self-responsibility and the effectiveness of the Cuban sanitary protocol for aeronautical and tourist operations.
The article indicates that both tourists (two women) arrived from Canada in September. They were asymptomatic, and none of them generated chains of infections, given the correct fulfillment of the sanitary protocols in the air terminal, established by the Ministry of Public Health.
According to data provided by the Center for Hygiene, Epidemiology, and Microbiology in the province of Ciego de Avila, so far in October, all tourists have tested negative for PCR-RT.
There are three lines of epidemiological surveillance at the airport: the aircraft's arrival, the temperature scanner, and the traveler's health declaration.
In the first instance, the plane's captain is asked for the General Health Declaration if there is any information from a passenger or crew member with symptoms or signs of a suspected infectious disease.
The second line is located in the immigration lounge. A nurse and the body scan technician take the temperature and observe, looking for signs or symptoms of illness while reviewing and collecting the Traveler's Health Declarations.
In the final check, the medical personnel retake the body temperature from all passengers, ask them about their general health and where they come from, and continue to observe for signs or symptoms suggesting illness.
Cuba resumed operations to international tourism last September 4, when a plane of the Air Canada airline, coming from Montreal, landed at the Jardins del Rey International Airport, with more than a hundred tourists on board.
Havana - President Miguel Diaz-Canel expressed his condolences for the death of Cuban renowned filmmaker Juan Carlos Tabio.
'Heart-felt goodbye to Juan Carlos Tabio, one of the essentials of Cuban cinema. His work, an authentic portrait of Cuba, is also the acute memory of an era. Condolences to family, friends and colleagues from cinema,' the president wrote on Twitter.Read More
Havana - Renowned Cuban film director and screenwriter Juan Carlos Tabío died in the early hours of Monday, January 18, 2021, in Havana.
His remains will be cremated, and authorities said they will inform the public later about his funeral.Read More
Havana - Spanish-French academic and journalist Ignacio Ramonet termed as 'cynical' the decision by the outgoing administration of US President Donald Trump to designate Cuba as a state sponsor of terrorism.Read More